BOOK REVIEW #1 // THREE DARK CROWNS

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Yay! first book review!
I found this book when I was puttering through amazon.com's book section, looking for new releases (as you will commonly find me doing). Sure enough, there were some new books*, among them Three Dark Crowns. The concept was really interesting, so I got it and read it! Let's just get into my review! I'll try not to include any major spoilers!

*obviously, madeline. did you just think that the authors would just stop writing in the month of September?


Three Dark Crowns
by Kendare Blake
In every generation on the island of Fennbirn, a set of triplets is born: three queens, all equal heirs to the crown and each possessor of a coveted magic. Mirabella is a fierce elemental, able to spark hungry flames or vicious storms at the snap of her fingers. Katharine is a poisoner, one who can ingest the deadliest poisons without so much as a stomachache. Arsinoe, a naturalist, is said to have the ability to bloom the reddest rose and control the fiercest of lions. But becoming the Queen Crowned isn’t solely a matter of royal birth. Each sister has to fight for it. And it’s not just a game of win or lose...it’s life or death. The night the sisters turn sixteen, the battle begins.
Rating: 
I really wanted to like this book. The plot concept was really interesting, and I was hoping the book would be action-packed and full of fighting queens. But it just wasn't was I was expecting. It was mostly about the months leading up to the Quickening (aka the year in which the queens kill each other) as opposed to taking place in the actual Quickening. In terms of pacing, this book is sloooww. At times, I came to enjoy this and start to get into the political aspect, but mostly, I was just wondering when the action was going to start. It did pick up about two-thirds in, but the first half was just plain slow with lots of fluffy stuff (aka filler).
setting? I thought the world-building was actually pretty good. I thought the concept of an island separated from a mainland with totally different values and culture was interesting. Also, the idea that a "Goddess" chooses when the current queen should have children and be ostracized was intriguing. Overall, I really felt like I understood the island of Fennbirn and was part of it instead of feeling as if I was watching from the outside.
characters? I didn't love any of the characters. I guess my favorite was Arsinoe because she seemed the most real, but she just kept making bad decisions! Cutting runes into yourself is never a good idea, girl! Honestly, Mirabella just felt flat and one-dimensional. I get that she is having second thoughts about killing her sisters, but it just seemed predictable. Katharine was just there. Until the very end, I didn't see any action from her. All three sisters just seemed too gullible to the whims of the other characters. Show some attitude to those manipulative minor characters, girls!
any love interests? There was a love triangle. A love triangle with two girls and one boy instead of two boys and one girl, but still, I'm tired of love triangles. 
other thoughts? I know I'm bashing this book, but I still did like it OK. The beginning drew me in as well as the last third of the book. BUT THE ENDING. I thought for once this would be a nice one book story but no. Of course it's not. The end was effective through. It left me wanting more of Fennbirn. I don't know yet whether I'll read the next book. I probably will because I'm ocd that way about having the whole series on my bookshelf (If it's a series, there's no "just having one." pfff. It's just like candy on Halloween. you don't just have one.). It was good enough for me to want the next book but not for me to desperately need it. Overall, this book was a strong "meh" earning a 3-star rating (leaning towards 3.5). 
I think if I had held a different mindset going into the book, knowing it would be slower, I would have enjoyed it more. This is not a bad book at all, and I think if you like a slower paced book, you will love Three Dark Crowns!




Thanks for reading my first book review! What were your thoughts on the book? Let me know if you have any book review requests here. Buy Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake here


xoxo, madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)