book review // Six of Crows (aka the best book ever)

Friday, November 4, 2016

Hello again! It's Friday, finally! (*sings loudly* Friday, friday! Gotta get down on Friday!) The cross country season is now over, so I now get to enjoy Saturday mornings like a regular human bean! That is, not riding on a bus at the crack of dawn to a certain (but enjoyable!) peril. I already know that I will miss cross country so bad in a couple weeks though...
In the topic of books, I will be giving you a full review today on Leigh Bardugo's Six of Crows. I gave you guys a short snippet of why I REALLY ENJOYED it in my Top 5 Favorite Books Post, but here's the full length rant about it in all its glory! 



Six of Crows
by Leigh Bardugo

photo property of a chic bookworm

Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price--and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...A convict with a thirst for revenge. A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager. A runaway with a privileged past. A spy known as the Wraith. A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.  A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes. Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction―if they don't kill each other first.

Basically, Kaz, the thief of thieves, has gathered the most dangerous people he can for the biggest heist ever. In a nutshell. It's pretty entertaining if you ask me. There's manipulation, there's humor. There's everything you could want in a book. Plus, plenty of action and fight scenes.


First, we shall cover the shallowest of topics: the book's appearance. Basically, Six of Crows is the best looking book in my collection. (just look at the pictures above). I just really love the cover design. AND it has black stained pages, which means it automatically gets an A+. The day I brought it to English class to read, here's an actual exchange that happened between my english teacher (who is amazing) and me:

Mr Cotten: madeline, that's a cool book. Are those black-stained pages?

Me: why yes, those are black pages, and this is a pretty cool book.

Mr. Cotten: it may look cool, but in my experience, the best looking books are the most disappointing...

Me: ...

Well, Mr. Cotten. I was unsure at the time, but I have come to the conclusion that this book was anything BUT disappointing. In fact, it was amazing. Which brings me to my next topic: what made it amazing? #segway


The characters were, for me, what made Six of Crows amazing. What I really loved was that they were all "villains" of sorts. Now, the antagonists of the story were even more villainish, but to a certain extent, the six main characters (hence Six of Crows) were the bad guys.

Why I liked this:
  1. it made the story more interesting - it was refreshing to have villains of sorts narrating the story. in fact, the only way the plot of this story would have worked is with the bad guys being the protagonists. it would have been a totally different book with a completely different plot if not for this. 
  2. it made the story darker and deeper - and we all know I like a dark story. the characters were so complex and they all had their own complicated backstory (which was good but also too much sometimes)
Let me introduce the characters to you:

  1. Kaz - the main-main character of the book. a talented locksmith who always has a plan. and a comeback that will #burn you. an evil mastermind who throughout the story gets slightly less evil because he's falling for...
  2. Inej - an extremely graceful acrobat called "the Wraith." basically, a living shadow who can disappear in plain daylight. has lots of knives. my favorite character in the book because she always makes the bad situations a little bit more bearable. also, all her flipping around reminds me of my gymnastics days which ended a couple months ago #goodtimes
  3. Nina - a grisha heartrender (or magical superhuman bean who can kill you without touching you) and cookie-lover. sassy and powerful.
  4. Matthias - mostly seems grumpy all the time but is a valuable addition to the group because they are breaking into Fjerda and he's a Fjerdan. also, he and Nina are going the most powerful power couple of ever.
  5. Jesper - funny and keeps the books from being too dark (is there such a thing though?). loves to shoot things and gamble.
  6. Wylan - kinda seems just a teensy bit unnecessary to the story, but I actually like him. best described as "cute." 
The book was told from all six of the above characters' perspectives, so I felt that it was pretty important for me to like most of the characters. I ended up liking all of the characters in the book! #score because I'm usually kind of picky about my characters.

I did think it was a little excessive to have all six perspectives though. In this aspect, I thought all of the backstories were too much. I definitely wish there was more of Kaz (he's the main-main character and needs more time in the story!), and maybe a little less of Wylan/Matthias. I like them, but I don't need that much of them though. The book was 450 pages long, and while I didn't really mind this, some of the chapters with Wylan's/Matthias's POVs probably could have been cut out to make it a little more concise.

again, didn't mind that it was 450 pages because I really enjoyed the plot, and I just wanted more!




I mentioned this in my other post that Six of Crows takes place in the same world as the Grisha Trilogy. I liked that I could go from the Grisha trilogy to this books and the principles would still be the same (with grisha powers and stuff like that), but I really don't you really don't have to read that series for it to make sense. you'll figure it out. you'll be fine.

Basically, the book takes place in a fantasy world inspired by Russia. Yeah. it was awesome. 

Bardugo did an excellent job with world building, from the heist in the Ice Court to the Barrel, which was just home to Kaz and the others. While I was reading, it was a real place, not a fantasy world. Plus, there weren't really any uncalled-for long descriptions of inanimate things or places. There was just enough information without being too much.


Rating: 

It was just amazing. There were some minor cons in the book, but all of the good things just completely overshadowed this! I gave it a five-star rating because, when it comes down to it, it really enjoyed it. There's not really a complex reason why. When it comes down to it,  I give a five-star rating to a book because I enjoyed it a lot, and I just wanted to keep reading it (and totally ignore life until I was done). Six of Crows did this and more for me. 




Thanks for reading my review! What are your thoughts on Six of Crows? What was your favorite character? 
If you have any book review requests or questions, contact me here or comment below!

xoxo, madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)