book review // Crooked Kingdom

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Welcome to another review, peeps! This week I'll be talking about, as you have already figured out, Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo, also known as the sequel to my favorite book, Six of Crows (check out the review for this here). I really enjoyed this book, and I'm also very upset that there will not be a third one.

BTW I can't promise that there will not be any spoilers in this review. I mean, I won't give away anything major, but there will probs be some teensy spoilers. I repeat, if you have not read CK yet, proceed at your own risk.

I was so pumped when I got this book last month, and I am equally excited now to share with you my thoughts on it! Let's do it!


by Leigh Bardugo

Kaz Brekker and his crew have just pulled off a heist so daring even they didn't think they'd survive. But instead of divvying up a fat reward, they're right back to fighting for their lives. Double-crossed and badly weakened, the crew is low on resources, allies, and hope. As powerful forces from around the world descend on Ketterdam to root out the secrets of the dangerous drug known asjurda parem, old rivals and new enemies emerge to challenge Kaz's cunning and test the team's fragile loyalties. A war will be waged on the city's dark and twisting streets―a battle for revenge and redemption that will decide the fate of the Grisha world.


Let me give you a little backstory on my excitement for this book: Once upon a time, last spring, I read Six of Crows and loved it, and then it ended, and there was not a second one until September*. Of course, I was upset, mostly because of the ending of SOC. So, I made do with inferior books and waited impatiently until I could finally purchase it on amazon. Now, I have it, and I am happy.

*I think that's when it was released(?) maybe? i should know this but i don't. also, I have no clue how I waited that long. i was probably rereading Six of Crows.




Ok, so we are going back to the shallowest topic of all: the book's appearance. 

I really like the cover design for the book but not quite as much as the first book. I really liked the strictly black, white, and red color scheme of SOC, but Crooked Kingdom has the addition of beige. I don't love beige*. BUT I do still like the cover with that giant crow on the front. AND more stained pages. This time they're red. I still prefer the black pages though, tbh.

Overall, the cover design gets a strong B+. Huzzah!

*really sorry that I sound so snooty, but I don't particularly like beige.



Again, like SOC, the characters were the reason why I LOVE LOVE LOVED this book so much.

All of them were so well done, and I changed my mind about Wylan. I really enjoyed reading his POV. Still best described as "cute."

Jesper we learned so much more about Jesper this time around! Learning more about his story made me like him so much more! I'm sorry, but he just wasn't my favorite character in SOC. He still isn't my favorite character now, but he's definitely higher up than he was!

Nina and Matthias definitely got a lot closer, and I really love them together. The end of the book made me really happy but also really sad :( 

One of the things that most impressed me about Matthias was how much he changed throughout the two books! He really is one of my favorite characters. But then again, all six are my favorite characters. It's just like I said: they're all really well done.

Kaz and Inej Kaz and Inej's relationship may have seemed almost understated, but hey, they made a lot of progress. Their relationship took a long time to develop to the point of holding hands, and I can appreciate that. It was nice to see that their love for each other was realistic in the fact that it took a long time to develop.


I really enjoyed the fact that the book was 500 pages. Normally, this would freak me out a little (because there is so much potential for me to be bored), but in this case, it was the perfect length. I almost wanted more. The characters, the setting (just everything) was perfect, and I think this was the reason why the length didn't bother me. In fact this was me opening the amazon box for the book:

a conversation with myself
me: *opens box* heck yeah. a hefty book that will actually take me a while to read.*
me: yesss. 500 more pages of Kaz and Co.
me: let me immediately devour this book.

* I am a book devouring piranha who eats 200-300 page books for breakfast. If you actually want to distract me for a while, give me a 500 page book ­čśü

The ending of CK (like I mentioned above) was happy in some aspects, but it was sad in others.  It was however, a satisfying ending. I would have been severely disappointed if Leigh Bardugo had given me a vague/unsatisfying ending, but she delivered, and the ending was really good. 

I really loved the plot of the book because it was so complicated. Honestly, I don't usually enjoy overly complicated plots, but it worked here. Somehow.

I won't ruin anything else for you.

Rating: 

I can't say anything more than, it was amazing. Not quite as good as Six of Crows, but still amazing.


have you read Crooked Kingdom? Did you enjoy it? What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below! 

Contact me here with book review requests or email me at achicbookworm@gmail.com.  
Hope you enjoyed this review!

xoxo, madeline

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it wasn't quite as good as Six of Crows, but it was still great. Some aspects of the ending made me super sad, but I mostly really liked the ending. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree! The ending was still satisfying although parts of it were also super sad. I'm mostly sad that there won't be a third installment in this series though :(

      Delete

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)