my lengthy tbr list // 7 books I need to read

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Happy November everyone! I hope you had a great/spooky Halloween! Today, we are going to attempt* to tackle the mess that is my TBR list. Most of these are probably going to end up on my birthday wishlist. If all goes as planned, my birthday will be a glorious day, full of books and happiness. 
Confession: most of these will probably be fantasy books because I am addicted to fantasy. I try contemporary, romance, etc but IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME! I still like contemporaries a lot, but fantasy is my first and only** love.
Let's just tackle this list before I ramble any longer.

*I say attempt because what I will mention today on this list is probably half of what is really on my list. Sadly, I have not totally mastered the art of organizing a TBR list. There are probably books on a random sticky note somewhere just waiting for me to come back for them...
**That's not true. I like a lot of books that aren't fantasy. But I still really like fantasy.




1. Caraval 
by Stephanie Garber

I need this book. If a book is "recommended for fans of The Night Circus" I need it. Badly. I haven't mentioned this before, but The Night Circus is one of my favorite books ever. It didn't quite make my top 5 favorite books ever post, but this book is literally number 6. So anything that is even slightly similar to the magical perfection of TNC I will read and devour. This book comes out after the New Year, and I don't even know if I can wait that long! Plus, if I can't scroll two pictures through instagram without seeing the beautiful cover (and acclamatory reviews) of Caraval, I'm pretty darn sure I need to read it!



2. Wink Poppy Midnight
 by April Genevieve Tucholke

I am fairly sure I first saw this book on the Read Breathe Relax website, and Wink Poppy Midnight intrigued me. The article said that the book was eccentric and beautiful, which I usually enjoy in a book. I read the sample on amazon, and I was immediately drawn in. Thus began my desperate need to read Wink Poppy Midnight. This book also seems to coincide with my love for TNC in its mysterious atmosphere. Books like these are my favorites when it comes to contemporaries.



3. Every Exquisite Thing
by Matthew Quick

I've said this before and I'll say it again: I love fantasy. But I know in my heart that I need to branch out and read something else. It won't be easy,  but I'll do it. I'll do it if it kills me. Putting Every Exquisite Thing on my TBR list is my attempt to branch out. I usually enjoy contemporary novels when I do choose to read them. I just tend to always choose fantasy over contemporary. From what I've read about it, this book seems right up my very narrow contemporary alley. I will read this book, and I will branch out!


cover love! I always love books with dresses on them...
(*cough cough* The Selection)
4. The Winner's Curse
by Marie Rutkoski

So again, FANTASY. Just by reading the blurb, I am 98.6% sure that I will thoroughly enjoy this book. I was initially drawn to The Winner's Curse because the blurb reminded me a bit of Legend by Marie Lu (which is an amazing book by the way. check it out.). Now, it will probably turn out way different, but chances are, I'll still enjoy it. I know I was talking about branching out earlier, but you *need* to have some fantasy in there just to balance it out. Also, the cover is so so pretty. 



5. A Study in Charlotte
by Brittany Cavellaro

A Study in Charlotte is another attempt of mine to branch out into different genres, in this case, mystery. I have a soft spot for books that take place at prep schools. I really love John Knowles's A Separate Peace. What intrigued me about this one is that it is kind of a retelling of Sherlock Holmes. Get it? A Study in Charlotte and A Study in Scarlet. So punny. This book is lower down on my list just because at the moment, there are books I want to read more than this one, but I still really want to read it. 



6. A Darker Shade of Magic
by V.E. Schwab

Again, my love of The Night Circus influenced me to put this on my TBR list. I have heard such great things about this book, so of course, I need to experience it for myself! Reading the blurb, this book kind of reminded me of A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray in its traveling to parallel universes aspect. It seems a little classier/graceful (not the right word?) than A Thousand Pieces of You thoughI actually did like A Thousand Pieces of You fairly well, so I am hoping that A Darker Shade of Magic will be as good, if not better!


ahh! I love an evil eye!

7. The Graces
by Laure Eve

Do I need to even mention anything this time? Magical witches, The Night Circus, blah blah blah. At this point I have thoroughly established that I am addicted to books with magical people and worlds. I won't even lie that I was first drawn to this book because I liked the cover... It has an evil-eye, OK?! I love evil-eyes! Who wouldn't want to be protected by the mystic power of a magical eye?*
Anyway, this book seems like it will have plenty of powerful female characters, and I love me a good strong female lead!

*sorry. rambling about evil-eyes is apparently my specialty.

Thanks for reading part one of my TBR list. Chances are, there will be a part two (probably even three, four, and five) which includes EVEN MORE books I want to read (inevitably, next week, I'll find a random list of books stashed in my backpack or something). 
I have come to two conclusions during this post: 
1) I am seriously questioning what crazy part of me decided not to put The Night Circus on my favorite books ever post since I literally talked about that book for the entirety of this posts. Here's a link to this amazing book on amazon. get it and read it.
2) I need to keep up with my TBR list some other better way than just writing it on random scraps of paper because obviously, that isn't working out...



Hope you enjoyed reading this post! Comment below or contact me here if there are any other books I should add to my TBR list! What books are on your TBR list?

xoxo, madeline


SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)