book review // I'll Give You the Sun (aka the most beautifully-written book ever)

Wednesday, December 28, 2016
Hey guys!! I'm back at it again with another book review! I can't believe Christmas is already over, and we are rapidly approaching 2017!

When I went to the library, I wasn't even planning on getting this book in the first place but I'm SO GLAD I did. It was such an amazing read.


by Jandy Nelson

At first, Jude and her twin brother are NoahandJude; inseparable. Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude wears red-red lipstick, cliff-dives, and does all the talking for both of them. 
Years later, they are barely speaking. Something has happened to change the twins in different yet equally devastating ways . . . but then Jude meets an intriguing, irresistible boy and a mysterious new mentor. 
The early years are Noah’s to tell; the later years are Jude’s. But they each have only half the story, and if they can only find their way back to one another, they’ll have a chance to remake their world. 
This radiant, award-winning novel from the acclaimed author of 
The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once. 

 So here are 4 of my thoughts because there is no way I can write a review of this book without spilling my innermost thoughts about this BEAUTIFUL book.
I love love LOVED the format in which the story was told.
The story was told by Noah at 13 years old and Jude at 16 years old in alternating chapters. Reading Noah's chapters, you can just tell that everything is going down hill, especially his relationship with Jude. With Jude's perspective, you can see the result of the twins broken relationship. 

You could really see what time and heartbreak did to them and the contrast of this to their former selves.* Having both perspectives at different ages majorly strengthened the story as a whole.

I really loved piecing together what happened to make them fall apart. As I made the connections from chapter to chapter, it made the book even more complex and beautiful.

*geez this book is making me think very deeply.


It was written so beautifully.
seriously. SOO LYRICAL AND BEAUTY-FUL. ahHHhh. The writing was so whimsical and gorgeous, especially in Noah's chapters. I would say that Noah is definitely more of a dreamer than Jude, hence the fact that his chapters are more poetic.

I did have a bit of a difficult start with this book though. Just for the record, I am a not a poetry type person. I am (without question) a logical, black-and-white type thinker, and this book was definitely not that type of book. and at times, the writing was so metaphorical that I didn't know what the heck was happening. Ultimately though, I got over it and super enjoyed the writing style.

The romance felt just a little too insta-lovey for me.
Particularly with Noah and Brian's relationship. 

Here's how it went down (basically): 
noah and brian meet. the next day.
Noah: yep. I'm in love with Brian.
Noah: BRIAN BRIAN BRIAN

And in the blink of an eye, without all that much going on, Noah is suddenly in love with Brian. I would've liked to see more development before Noah and Brian actually fell for each other. I dunno, it just felt a little too love-at-first-sight for me.

With Jude and Oscar, there was a good amount more development, and this I appreciated. As much as I wanted to see them together at the end of the book, they were still working out their relationship, and that's ok. It was just a more realistic relationship development.

I could really relate to the characters. They just felt real.
Noah and Jude had their strengths and their flaws, and I would go as far to say the book was mostly about these flaws. But these flaws were what made them exceptional characters. I could genuinely feel their heartbreak and sorrow and joy.

What really made the book shine though, was the secondary characters. From Guillermo*, to Oscar, to their Dad (heck, even to their dead Grandma). They were so well-developed and important to the story without totally taking over (like some secondary characters do). But they were still there and crucial to the development of the story.

*guillermo is my actual fave in this book. he is actually the sweetest ever.



Rating: ★★★★★

Almost everything about this novel, I loved. This book does not quite make my favorite books of all time, but it's pretty close. Without question, I recommend it to all of you!

have you read this fabulous book?? what are your thoughts on the writing style and format? I must know!! chat with me in the comments!!

xoxo, madeline

14 comments:

  1. This is a book I'm debating whether or not to read, but after reading this review I think I might!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally recommend it! it was on my tbr for a while, and I'm glad I finally got around to reading it!

      Delete
  2. IDK HOW ANYTHING COULD BE MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN THE PICTURES IN THIS POST TBH

    <33333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww THANK YOU SO MUCH! this made my day!!

      Delete
  3. OH MY GOSH I LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH IM SO HAPPY YOU READ IT!!! This book is so so beautiful just yes love this review and also that photo is beautiful ah this is a great book I'm dying haha. But anyways yes lovely review and photos as always Madeline :)
    -Vivian

    P.S. https://moonsworlds.blogspot.com/2016/04/book-review-ill-give-you-sun.html-- here's my own review on my blog if you'd be interested to read it. Also are you going to read The Sky is Everywhere? I read that one too and although it wasn't as good as I'll Give You the Sun it was also a pretty good read, would recommend if you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHH thank you!!! I'm not usually a contemporary kind of person, but THIS BOOK WAS SO GOOD.
      I am totally going to check out your review! and I am probably going to read the The Sky is Everywhere at some point! I've heard some pretty good things about it!

      Delete
  4. I love reading your blog so much, all your photos are amazing! xxx
    tallulah-rose-blogs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for checking it out! :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh pretty book cover! also I love the way you formatted this post like EEEP. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! the cover of this book is SO PRETTY. this is probably my favorite way of formatting book reviews! I should probably do it like this more often! :)

      Delete
  6. Really looking forward to read this book, mainly because the cover is soo pretty! Also love the formatting of your posts and your blog is so cute!
    Anyways, if you have time please check my blog out: http://theritzblog.blogspot.in/
    ~Ritz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading!! the cover of this book is GORGEOUS. I'll be checking out your blog for sure!

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this yet but I do have the audiobook, which I really should try to get to soon! I've only heard good things about this.

    Uggghhh instalove, why?! Thank goodness it sounds like this book has a number of great things going on! Plenty to distract me from that one negative aspect haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oohh listening to the audiobook sounds amazing since it's such a lyrical book!

      the instalove is not nearly as bad as some books, and everything else is so awesome that it didn't really bother me that much! hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)