book review // Throne of Glass

Monday, December 19, 2016
a chic bookworm
Hooray! Winter Break is here!
I don't know why it took me so long to pick up this book and read it. (probably because my library card was expired) It was amazing, and here's my review on it.


by Sarah J. Maas

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin. Her opponents are men-thieves and assassins and warriors from across the empire, each sponsored by a member of the king's council. If she beats her opponents in a series of eliminations, she'll serve the kingdom for four years and then be granted her freedom. Celaena finds her training sessions with the captain of the guard, Westfall, challenging and exhilarating. But she's bored stiff by court life. Things get a little more interesting when the prince starts to show interest in her ... but it's the gruff Captain Westfall who seems to understand her best.Then one of the other contestants turns up dead ... quickly followed by another. Can Celaena figure out who the killer is before she becomes a victim? As the young assassin investigates, her search leads her to discover a greater destiny than she could possibly have imagined.


THE WHOLE BOOK. I'm kind of kidding you on this but not really. Let me break it down for you. 

- the world building. gah it was so good! details about the religion/history/etc were appropriately placed where they were needed instead of pages and pages of raw information. The world was well-developed without going overboard.

the characters. also fabulous and well-developed.

Celaena Sardothien has a puppy for goodness sake!* also: she loves clothes! finally, a character who can kill people with her bare hands and love puppies/clothes/food. the best of both worlds! She was a strong female character without being particularly manly.
 *see also: when there is a dog in a book, madeline loves this dog even more than the actual characters.

She is also probably the sassiest sassmaster you will ever meet. Basically, the whole book was a compilation of her sass towards Chaol and Dorian, but I see that as a good thing. It was so funny to read her sass.

literally Celaena the whole time.

Chaol* Westfall is the captain of the guard, and one of Celaena's potential love interests (I'll get to that in The Bad). He's pretty cool, but honestly, how the heck is he captain of the guard?? I mean, he's young, and he's never even killed anyone! I do think he has a lot of potential to develop in the next several books, though.

*I keep pronouncing his name like "kale" and picturing a leafy vegetable. how do you pronounce this??

Dorian Havilliard is the crown prince of Erilea. I personally hated him at first but grew to love him as the story went on. He is the other potential love interest in the Celaena-Love-Triangle. I personally think that Celaena would be better off with Dorian, based on the sole fact that he is the only one (maybe??) who can make her laugh. also, their chemistry seems better, in general. But what do I know? Nothing, so you can't just assume I know what I'm talking about. I'm going to open the next book and like Chaol so much more than Dorian, aren't I? who knows!

- the perspective. The book was written in third-person, which, at first, I was unsure that I would like since I usually gravitate towards books written in first-person. BUT I really enjoyed the perspective for a couple of reasons.

1) remember how I said that I love first-person books? well, this book was a teensy break from that, and it was refreshing. maybe I'll even read more third-person books now!
2) This is the big reason: we got to see perspectives other than Celaena's (!) such as the King (aka the Evil Guy), Kaltain (aka Crazy Caste-Climbing Woman), and even sometimes Dorian and Chaol (aka the Leafy Green Vegetable)

a chic bookworm

This section really should be called "the less good" because there wasn't much I dislike about the book.

-the love triangle. from previous reviews, you might know me to be a love-triangle-hater, but this one wasn't too bad. There wasn't a crazy amount of romance in this book, so I will simply tolerate the love triangle instead of glaring at it until it bursts into flames.

-the plot. I actually enjoyed the plot, but I will mention this for those of you who it might bother. The plot was a little bit similar to the Hunger Games (tributes competing for their lives with tests along the way), but I didn't mind this at all. In fact, I really like the whole idea of the competition.


Rating: ★★★★

This was a really great book! It may not make my favorite books of all time list because I don't know yet if I would read it over and over again, but it was a well-done book! I totally recommend it to all of you out there! Go forth and read it!
Thanks for reading this review!

Have you read this fabulous book?? What are your thoughts on it? Does anyone else think about leafy vegetables when they see Chaol's name? (probs just me.) Let me know in the comments!

xoxo, madeline

12 comments:

  1. Ooh this sounds so good! *makes plans to read it that will probably never be carried out*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. samee. i'm always making plans to read books when I know I'll never get around to it! so many books, so little time!

      Delete
  2. Nice post! I received Throne of Glass as a Christmas present and I look forward to reading it, it sounds amazing.
    Róisín
    totallyro.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it was a really great book and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

      Delete
  3. I loved this book when I first read it!! Although I'm solidly alllllll for Chaol. <3 What a PRECIOUS LITTLE PUMPKIN. 😂 Although I also was confused how on earth he's captain of the guard and hasn't killed anyone and seems really naive??! But whatever. Precious. Hehe. The sass is also wonderful! Sassy characters who love chocolate and puppies FTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love the sass! and puppies/chocolate! right now, I'm leaning toward Dorian, but I really like both Chaol and him! Chao is SUCH a precious pumpkin!

      Delete
  4. I read the first four books in this series a while back, and I have to say the first was the best of all of them. I agree- I too enjoyed the characters and the plot was ok, but as the story progressed it got denser and more static I thought. Plus, the love triangles spiraled WAY out of control in the future books. Great review- will be interested to hear if you like the others in the series :)

    ps: at first I was team Chaol but then by the third book everything was a mess... I'll just let you read it haha
    -Vivian
    https://moonsworlds.blogspot.com

    by the way- I love your blog-- found you through TBC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for checking out my blog!! *hugs you* I just started the second of this series, but I haven't gotten that far into it yet!
      I usually find that the first book of a series is the best, but it's still disappointing when the rest of the books aren't that great :(
      I'm definitely going to try to keep reading this series though, and let you know what I think!

      definitely going to check out your blog!!

      Delete
  5. This book looks so interesting, (plus I love the Blair Waldorf gif) ;). I really like your blog so far.
    Ranyel x
    www.nocaremoreflare.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this book was so good!! I would totally recommend it! and yesss about Blair. She is my actual favorite. thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  6. I'm hesitant about whether or not to try this series - on one hand, I previewed the first few chapters of this book and it doesn't look particularly well-written (and I hear Celaena is the Ultimate Mary-Sue), but on the other hand the books later in the series look pretty good! Thank you for your thoughts; I enjoyed reading them! <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally try out this series! I will admit that the writing was not the best ever, but it was such a fun and entertaining book to read! I will definitely be reading later books in this series!

      Thanks for commenting!! xoxo

      Delete

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)