march wrap-up // keep pushing through

Friday, March 31, 2017

yet another month over.
this was possibly the toughest month of the year so far. the stretch up to spring break (which is going on right now) was long and very stressful. i guess my teachers got together and conspired against us students to make every assignment due on the same day. but despite all that, march was still a really good month!

this month wasn't the greatest in terms of reading. i set my reading goal at seven books...and i only read six. i lost a lot of momentum two thirds of the way through the month after reading a not so great book and that turned into a mini reading slump.

i did hit the half way point on my goodreads challenge though!

A Conjuring of Light - YAAASSSSS. easily one of my favorite books of all time. // ★★★★★ (i would give it more than 5 stars if i could)
All Quiet on the Western Front - read for a school assignment but still very stirring and i enjoyed it // ★★★★☆
The Rest of Us Just Live Here - i found it hard to care about the characters, but i still liked it // ★★★★☆
Bone Gap - i loved this to the moon and back. the whole thing was so well done, and i love a good magical realism novel. full review is here. // ★★★★★
Blood Rose Rebellion - this was actually a very disappointing book, but it had so much potential! i will most likely not be continuing this series. read my full review here. // ★★★☆☆
Hillbilly Elegy - read for a school book club project. i didn't love it, but i also didn't hate it. at least it was interesting. // ★★★☆☆

31/60 books finished for my 2017 reading challenge so far!

in other news, i just ordered The Raven Boys and i am so stoked to be reading it in april!!


last month, i pledged to write more book reviews this month. i did that, but i also totally abandoned all of my other discussion type posts. i guess my goal for april is to post both discussions and reviews consistently.

somehow, i only got around to posting three times this month...? (click to read!)

SaveSaveSaveSave


favorite posts of the month!


i loved reading anisha's review of The Hate U Give. i'm so excited to read the book!!

ellie's beauty and the beast book tag. it was so fun to read!

taylor's tbr jar idea. i really need to try this!


i'm actually blanking right now on the things that happened this month, but i'll try my best.

- i finally cleared seven feet in pole vault!! that was really exciting.

- i had a near-death math experience (but my grade ended up turning out ok) math this month was just very rough.

- a tremendous (and very exciting) life change is now happening. i might share this in the future, but right now, i'm not quite ready. dunno how this change is going to affect my blogging situation. i'll update you in the future.

- SPRING BREAK. FINALLYYY. skiing has been fun!

- i started my bullet journal. let me know if you want a post on this! i've been loving it so far.

oh and i found out that i'm lactose intolerant. gosh darn iT. I WANT TO EAT ALL THE ICE CREAM THOugh


so coldplay came out with a couple new songs this month (Something Just Like This & Hypnotized), and I FREAKED. coldplay = my first love. Lorde also came out with Green Light this month, which i'm pretty happy about.


SaveSave


i'm hoping that april can save me from my current reading slump.

The Raven Boys - i am so excited to read this!!
I'll Give You the Sun - (reread) this was amazing the first time around, and i decided to buy the book for real!
Cinder - currently reading this, but i haven't really felt like reading it at all.
The Sun is Also a Star - finally number one on the hold list.
Queen of Shadows - i want to read this so bad gahh
Rebel of the Sands - i've been putting this off for so long. i just need to push though and finish it.

that's about it!

how was your month? anything cool/fun happen? not really for me! are there any books that you're looking forward to reading or things you're looking forward to doing in april?

xoxo, madeline
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

10 comments:

  1. I'm with you friend-- been a rough month for me as well. But we made it through, happy April! Yes-- Green Light is so good right? I've been listening to it so much. And I'm dying to read the Sun is Also a Star, I've heard great things. Can't wait to see your review on it :) Unfortunately I've barely had any time to read or blog or do much of anything besides homework lately. Ugh. Hopefully soon I'll be able to sit down and have some solid book time. I would love to see a post on your bullet journal. Lovely wrap up post as always <3
    -Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know! me too. i've had no time to blog recently :( i really need a chunk of time to just sit down and read right now! hopefully april will be better!

      Delete
  2. Awww, I'm so sorry March wasn't a great month. :/ March was a mixed bag for me; I celebrated my birthday and had spring break, but my emotions were very up and down.

    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on The Raven Boys! I thought it was well-written but so full of tropes my eyes were rolling every two seconds. I loved The Dream Thieves, though.

    THE SUN IS ALSO A STAR, YES, I'VE WANTED TO READ THAT FOREVER.

    Congratulations on pole vault! And I hope your major life change turns out okay :) I'd love to see a bullet journal post!

    YELLOW FLICKER BEAT YES I LOVE THAT SONG. This month, I've been listening to Taylor Davis's cover of "History Maker" as well as "City of Stars" from La La Land. In April, I really want to read Resistance by Jaye L. Knight, Caraval by Stephanie Garber, A Good American by Alex George, and The Thief by Stephanie Landsem.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'll let you know my thoughts soon!! i can't wait to read the Dream Thieves!
      ooh i need to check those songs out. my playlist is getting a little outdated. i would love to know your thoughts on Caraval when you read it!! :)

      Delete
  3. Okay, so I need to read I'll Give You the Sun and a million other contemporaries halp. AND AGH YOU MUST READ THE RAVEN BOYS AND CINDER!!! (And haha, yes, Cinder is a little slow at the beginning, but I promise, it gets better.) Ooh, bullet journal! I WOULD start one, but I'm already out of time to do other things, so I will save that for later. XD I'd love to see a post on that! And AGH I read ADSOM and I MUST READ AGOS AND ACOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've just finished both of them! cinder was pretty good but omg The Raven Boys !! i loved it. ahh please read AGOS and tell me what you think!! :)

      Delete
  4. You have read so much already?! Wow. Your TBR list does sound really exciting though 😻

    Have fun with spring break! I hope you do amazing stuff and update us in your blog 💗

    - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm actually shocking myself with how much i've been reading!

      thanks!!

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a hectic month - but at least maths is over and you survived! Also really jealous of the books you've read this month! I still haven't finished A conjuring of Light as time keeps disappearing on me - but all the best for next month. Enjoy your spring break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha it was a narrow survival though...ahh please tell me what you think after you finish A Conjuring of Light! (i loved it to death)

      Delete

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)