The Raven Boys // wowowow i enjoyed this so immensely much

Saturday, April 15, 2017
the hype was real when i read this (and i was slightly very nervous), but for once, the hype was totally real, guys! (!!!)
recently, i've been taking a bit of a break from ya fantasy in favor of contemporary-ish*  novels and a bit of magical realism (aka my favorite thing ever). i'll probably be doing a post later this month (possibly?) on why i've been taking a break from fantasy.

to put it simply, I ENJOYED THIS SOSOSO MUCH. 100% obsessed. here's why i loved The Raven Boys!

*i know. i can hear the gasps around the world. "whaaat... madeline reading contemporary??"

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle #1)
by Maggie Stiefvater


It is freezing in the churchyard, even before the dead arrive. Every year, Blue Sargent stands next to her clairvoyant mother as the soon-to-be dead walk past. Blue herself never sees them—not until this year, when a boy emerges from the dark and speaks directly to her. His name is Gansey, and Blue soon discovers that he is a rich student at Aglionby, the local private school. Blue has a policy of staying away from Aglionby boys. Known as Raven Boys, they can only mean trouble.But Blue is drawn to Gansey, in a way she can’t entirely explain. He has it all—family money, good looks, devoted friends—but he’s looking for much more than that. He is on a quest that has encompassed three other Raven Boys: Adam, the scholarship student who resents all the privilege around him; Ronan, the fierce soul who ranges from anger to despair; and Noah, the taciturn watcher of the four, who notices many things but says very little.For as long as she can remember, Blue has been warned that she will cause her true love to die. She never thought this would be a problem. But now, as her life becomes caught up in the strange and sinister world of the Raven Boys, she’s not so sure anymore.


by far, the characters were definitely my favorite part of the story. the book was very character-driven as opposed to having a strong plot, but this did not bother me one bit. i've found that i really love books that focus mainly on character development.

blue sargent was not actually my favorite character of the story, but she is still pretty darn good. she is so sarcastic and logical (even though she hates being called sensible), and i loved the fact that she tried so hard to be eccentric but ended up being still called sensible (wow that was a long sentence). i guess she is a special snowflake, but honestly, i don't mind it in this scenario. i love her sass so much <3
oh gansey, my little cinnamon roll. essentially, gansey was the mother duck of the Raven Boys,. he feels responsible for them and is so incredibly loyal. you can just tell that he would do anything for his friends (including blue). 10/10 for his very aesthetically-pleasing Glendower notebook.
i am so excited to read The Dream Thieves because it features more of ronan. like he seems really stabby and dark, but then he adopts a baby bird which is the most adorable thing of ever?! dude. give me more of him! 10/10 for latin skills
adam is also a darling little cinnamon roll. he's got a lot of baggage, but there's something so endearing about him. i hope that i see more of his character development next book. 10/10 for cinnamon roll-ness
finally noah. he's so shy and ghostly hehe but  I JUST LOVE HIS AND BLUE'S FRIENDSHIP SO MUCH <3<3 10/10 for adorableness

don't even get me started on the secondary characters. they. are. so. amazing. all the psychic women that live with blue are so amazingly crafted, and they add so much weirdness/epicness to the story. persephone was definitely my favorite.



going into the book, i had about 100% no idea what this book was even about. like contemporary or magical realism or what.

the book ended up being paranormal/magical realism-ish WHICH I LOVED. the idea that gansey was searching for the lost welsh king Glendower was so unique and strange and awesome. i loved the weirdness of it all.

the book was very character driven, but i loved it anyway. i also liked the fact that we got to pop into a lot of people's POVs and hear what they were thinking. that helped a lot with character development.

something i thought that the book did really well was weave fantasy into real life. stiefvater's combination of mythology with reality was flawless. the language of the story was beautiful without being flowery and UGH I JUST NEED THE NEXT BOOK.

a sneak peak of my bullet journal hehe. i do want to accumulate some more spreads before i share it though...


the book took place in rural virginia, but i don't have that much to say about world building because it wasn't really a main aspect of the story as much as the characters were.

i will say that the scene in the (magical?) forest where ronan is talking to the trees in latin is freaking epic. it was so strange, but so well written. eep i loved it so much.


that's about it. this was one of those reviews where i just couldn't put together coherent thoughts because i was so blown away, but i tried my best.

rating: ★★★★★

obviously, i can't wait to get my hands on the next book. i'm really just glad that the hype (for once) didn't ruin the book for me! it was all i expected and 10x more.

have you read The Raven Boys? tell me all your thoughts!! please shriek with me in the comments! are there any books you've read recently that have actually lived up to the hype? also, tell me your thoughts on the new blog name (i wrote a post about it here)!!

xoxo, madeline
SaveSave

12 comments:

  1. The characters are DEFINITELY the strong point of this book. I actually thought TRB was okay, but it got sooooo much better at the end. (The Raven King is SO PERFECT I CAN'T EVEN.) I think that I loved TRC because of the characters -- THEY'RE ALL SO SMOL AND AMAZING AND GAHGAHGHAGAHGHAG. The plot is cool, strange, but slooow. But I really enjoyed the series, and hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm so excited to read the next books i can't even explain!!

      Delete
  2. I've heard so so much about this book, but I doubt that I'll ever get to it . . . *glares at my towering TBR pile* XD but great review! and omg those photos are awesome waht even

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope that you get to read it at some point! thanks :))

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you loved this! I've of course heard incredible things about this book but I was hesitant to read it because of all the hype. Knowing that you enjoyed it regardless makes me excited to pick it up!! Great review πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope that you get to read it soon!! for once the hype didn't ruin it!

      Delete
  4. (Ok so I was confused first like WHERE DID MADELINE GO OH NO) but quickly figured it out!! I like your new blog name too 🌟

    I have not read The Raven Boys yet but I do have it as an ebook so I might get to reading it soon! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews but it does something that I would love.

    Thanks for the review 😍

    - Andrea at A Surge of Thunder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry to confuse you!! ooh update me when you read it (and i hope you love it!)

      Delete
  5. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Okay this is my favourite book ever so I'm SO PLEASED you love it too!! *flails for 900 years* And this is such a beautiful review. <3 Ronan is 1000% my favourite too and I love Noah and Gansey so so much too. Adam is great, but I prefer him more as the series goes on. Poor damaged cinnamon roll tho. *weeps* And I promise all the next books are just as good!! HAVE FUN WITH ALL THE UPCOMING FEELS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for reading :)) i just finished the series a week ago and AHHH THE FEELSSSS

      Delete
  6. OKAY OKAY YOUR REVIEW IS BASICALLY SO BEAUTIFUL AND MAKES ME WANT TO READ THIS BOOK SO BAD!
    #NEEDTOREADNOW

    ReplyDelete

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)