top ten tuesday // 10 magical realism books that i want to read

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

guess who's finally doing top ten tuesday??


that's right! i am. i can't promise to do it every single week, but i will do it when i feel like it. which is this week, at least.

so yeah, today i'm linking up with The Broke and the Bookish for their weekly tag, Top Ten Tuesday. this week's prompt was ten books from x genre that are on your tbr, so i chose to do magical realism, which is a genre i have been completely obsessed with recently. magical realism is kind of a vague genre, so some of these might not actually be in the genre but sounded like it? you can't always tell with magical realism.

(just a psa: with magical realism, it works better for me if i don't try to understand the premise of the book from the blurb, so i most likely won't know what any of these books are about. sorry!)

01. A Million Junes



i knew that when i saw twirling pages' rave review of A Million Junes, i would have to read it. i love LOVE strange books so much, and Alexandra said that it was beautifully weird. 


02. Orphan Island



i'm pretty sure that i saw this book for the first time in the Shelf Awareness newsletter a couple months ago, and the first thing that drew me in was the cover. i love the font and the colors. even though this is a middle grade book, i know that i'm going to read this because the premise sounds so interesting to me.


03. The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao



i'm pretty sure that i first saw this book on booktube a couple months ago (???). i'm not sure, but someone said magical realism and i came running. this book is lower on my tbr list at this point in time, but i'm pretty sure i'll get to it at some point...


04. A Monster Calls




and how have i not read this already?? SERIOUSLY MADELINE. GET ON IT. (i meant to read this awhile ago before the movie came out, but that obviously didn't happen...)


05. Eva Luna



my mom recommended this book to me a couple years back along with all of Isabel Allende's books because she said that she enjoyed them when she was younger. i started Eva Luna last summer on vacation but mysteriously never finished it...? i vaguely remember the book being similar to the beginning of The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender...dunno if that is accurate or not.


06. When the Moon Was Ours



someone or some website recommended this book to me after i said that i loved I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson (side note: absolutely amazing book, by the way). May from Forever and Everly also said that she loved it, which pretty much solidified this book's place on my tbr.


07. The Golem and the Jinni



the blurb of this sounded so creepy and awesome, but don't even ask me to explain it. also, the cover of this is SO. BEAUTIFUL.
i'm fairly sure that i also found this book whilst watching booktube.


08. The Weight of Feathers



the premise of this sounded ever so slightly like Romeo and Juliet mixed with The Night Circus, which sounds completely awesome and aesthetic?? Cait at Paper Fury said that she completely loved it, and we usually have similar reading taste, so i'm hoping that i can read this soon!

09. Still Life with Tornado




Still Life with Tornado (also) sorta reminded me of I'll Give You the Sun with the art aspect of the story. i don't exactly know what to expect other than that (i guess that i'd rather be surprised!).


10. The Gallery of Unfinished Girls





first of all, THE COVER. *heart eyes* i have absolutely no clue what this book is about, but again, i heard the words "magical realism" along with some pretty good reviews and tripped over myself adding it to my tbr.


what genres have you been loving lately? are any of these books on your tbr? any more magical realism recommendations for me? should i do top ten tuesday again? 

xoxo, madeline
SaveSaveSaveSave

11 comments:

  1. I OBVIOUSLY AGREE WITH THIS LIST.
    Oh
    My
    Gosh
    You HAVEN'T READ A MONSTER CALLS? You simply need to! I don't even need to justify myself. Read . That BOOK like now

    I saw you add Orphan Island to your TBR on Goodreads SO OBVIOUSLY I had to add it. I mean that title is wonderful.

    I definitely want to read The Weight Of Feathers, When The Moon Was Ours and Still Life With Tornado. I haven't heard any of the other books but I'm off to add them to my never-ending TBR soon! (thanks for the recs) I haven't joined the TTT squad, BUT I hope to...in the near future (me everyday) genres I've been loving lately...FANTASY but you already knew this. I've just got this new obsession with it? Any magical realism recs. To be honest, I don't really know the genre of books I want to read or even have read. Well, I DO of course but off the top of my head, NONE, sorry! OOH WAIT - I remember! you should totally read The Accident Season (which I think is Magical Realism) BECAUSE IT'S SO WORTH IT AND GOSH...go read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. somehow i haven't read A Monster Calls yet!? i really don't know why!

      i know! the title of Orphan Island just sounds so magical! oooh i really want to check out The Accident Season now!

      Delete
  2. AGHAGHHAGHAG OKAY!!!

    So. First of all. I PRETTY MUCH HAVE HEARD OF ALL OF THESE BOOKS??? Which makes me excited. I read When the Moon Was Ours (which you know because you MENTIONED ME GAAAAAH) and it was BEAUITFULLLLLL. I finished The Weight of Feathers last night and while it was also amazing, something was just off about it??? It may have been that the relationship didn't have much development before they kissed, but idk. I'll have to reread it lol. It was still really great though!

    Still Life With Tornado... I didn't find that as a magical realism book??? I felt like it was just a regular contemporary, but idk. ALSO PLEASE KNOW I HATE CHET.

    A Million Junes and The Gallery of Unfinished Girls -- I NEED RIGHT NOOOOOOOOOW. Thank you for this list (even though I've read 3/10??? GASP I'M SO PROUD) because I soooo need more magical realism!

    And I was gonna say Bone Gap for magical realism *insert heart eyes* but you already read that right??? I feel like you reviewed it on your blog somewhere... *goes digging*

    may @ forever and everly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i can't wait to pick up The Weight of Feathers! i'm sorry that something wasn't quite right though...

      yeah, you're probably right. Still Life with Tornado was shelved by some people on goodreads as magical realism, but i'm not totally totally sure about it? sometimes it's hard to define magical realism?

      BONE GAP I LOVE. <3 the story is so magical and weird!! (also the aesthetics are amazing. #shallow)

      Delete
  3. Yesss, Top Ten Tuesday is so fun!! I'm glad you're finally doing it <3 When the Moon Was Ours and The Weight of Feathers are both maybes for me, so I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woohoo! i'll definitely let you know my thought if / when i finish them!

      Delete
  4. I just added SO MANY books to my TBR! A reviewer I trust loved The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, if you're looking for more recommendations :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the rec! i just finished it about a week ago and enjoyed it ok. the names in that book are SO AMAZING although i found myself a bit bored with the story.

      Delete
  5. I just read the weight of feathers - which I actually hated for the first 75 pages, but then I ended up loving it and giving it five stars lol. I've also been on a magical realism binge lately so I can also recommend Bone Gap by Laura Ruby and The Otherlife by Julia Gray. But thanks for giving me more books to add to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that actually happens to me quite a lot lol, but i'm glad you loved it! I LOVE BONE GAP oh my goodness, and i'll have to check out The Otherlife! thanks for the rec!!

      Delete
  6. YES READ A MONSTER CALLS ITS SO WONDERFUL!! Neat post :)
    -Vivian

    ReplyDelete

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)