#recentlyread // books i read while on hiatus (micro-reviews?)

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

hello again, reader friends!

the past few weeks i have been MIA on the blog due to being at camp and for more reasons explained here, which means that i haven't been constantly updating my goodreads profile every single minute of every day. the day i came back, i did rate all the books i read while i was on hiatus, but i didn't end up writing reviews because #lazy. so i thought i would update you guys with "micro-reviews" of everything i've read in the past month. basically, i'll write a couple of sentences with likes and dislikes  instead of writing a full blown 80 page thesis on every one of the books. let's get going!


01. The Secret History




rating: ★★★★★

oh. my. goodness. this book has officially made it onto my "very favorites of all time list." i absolutely loved the telling of the story, the characters, and everything else about this book. especially the pretentiousness. i promised myself these reviews would be short for this post, but a full review and discussion should be coming soon on my goodreads account (hopefully).




02. Our Dark Duet




rating: ★★★★★

another book that completely blew it out of the park for me and made it onto my favorites list. Our Dark Duet focuses more on Kate's story than August's (or at least i found this to be the case). i went into the story loving August about 10x more than Kate, but i came out honestly loving both of them equally. i think that Schwab did an amazing job with Kate's character in particular, but with the whole book was superbly written.


03. Flame in the Mist




rating: ★★★☆☆

going into Flame in the Mist, i told myself i would give Renee Ahdieh another chance after disliking The Wrath and the Dawn. many people in the book community said that they liked the book, and i hoped that i would too. to a certain extent i enjoyed it, but just like Ahdieh's other books, it fell flat for me. i thought the writing of the book was fine and the idea of the world was an excellent idea, but the characters and execution of the plot fell flat for me. just like The Wrath and the Dawn, i felt that the plot was very forced and the main character's end goal of revenge didn't make too much sense.




04. Shiny Broken Pieces




rating: ★★★☆☆

this was more like a 3.5 star book for me. boy was it entertaining with all the drama, and you know how i love my ballet books and t.v. shows, but the plot of the story felt a little forced to me, like the authors were trying to squeeze the absolute max amount of juice out of the story world. put simply, i just didn't enjoy Shiny Broken Pieces as much as the first book in the series. i will say that i was secretly rooting for Bette (aka the ultimate mean girl in book 1) the whole book which surprises me.



05. Ink and Bone




rating: ★★★☆☆

another "meh" read. there will be a full review coming up in the next couple days though, so i won't say too much. i didn't really see anything special in the characters, and you know that characters are what make or break the book for me. although some of the world building concepts were interesting, the fact that the book was technically a dystopia threw me off. i think that a younger madeline maybe a few years ago would have enjoyed this more.



06. Always and Forever, Lara Jean




rating: ★★★★☆

4.5 stars. if you're looking for a plot -driven and intense finale, this definitely is not it. Always and Forever is one of the cutest books i have ever read, and the fact that this is Lara Jean's last book is so nostalgic for me. i still remember reading To All the Boys I've Loved Before for the first time, and loving it. it's fairly hard to see myself represented in books being half-Korean, but this series did it perfectly. ahh i love these books. one thing: i did find some of the writing/some scenes to be rather choppy, but that's my only gripe.



07. The Scorpio Races




rating: ★★★★★

another addition to my favorites of all time list. everything about this book is done so flawlessly. my favorite aspect of the book though has to be the world building. Stiefvater created an island so easily pictured and well-developed. the whole aura of Sean and Puck's world exudes the aura that defines Maggie Stiefvater's writing and makes her books so special.



08. A Brief History of Time




rating: ★★★★★

for some strange reason, nonfiction books such as this one and books i read for school are the hardest for me to rate because i'm not sure that all of them are supposed to be read for enjoyment. however, i loved reading A Brief History of Time. it was a book i borrowed from a friend almost desperately, but i actually ended up finding it extremely interesting. the most impressive part of the book was how easy Stephen Hawking made it to understand even the most complex of concepts by making parallels between these concepts and everyday life.


ARGHH i forgot to put Always and Forever into the pic but IT'S FINE. really.



hope you enjoyed seeing my recent reads! if you ask me, the past month was a pretty amazing reading month! i mean, three books put on my favorites of all time list? that's pretty good if i do say so myself!

what books have you read recently? anything spectacularly good or bad? have you read any of these books? what are your thoughts? talk with me in the comments! (hmu with discussions about the origins of the universe/ABHoT in general if you want!)

xoxo, madeline

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sad you didn't enjoy Ink and Bone that much! I absolutely LOVED the characters! I got The Scorpio Races just yesterday from the library was was bout together ODD but apparently it was 'adult' so I couldn't take it out? I WAS ANGRY, even though I haven't read TSS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know :"( really, i didn't hate the book, it just didn't stand out to me. woohoo! tell me all your thoughts when you get done with TSR!! ugh i'm so sorry that you couldn't get OOD, but i hope you get to read it soon! :)

      Delete
  2. I bought To All The Boys I've Ever Loved and I'm so excited to read it!! I'm happy to see that you like the first book AND the last because sometimes with series, the books fall short after the first book. Also, I've had A Brief History of Time on my TBR list for a while now, but have been so intimidated by it to even give it a go, but hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in the near future. It puts me to ease that you liked it so much!!

    I'm currently reading How To Be a Bawse by Lilly Singh and I'm loving it. What a great book so far.

    Kathlyn | Kathlyn's Korner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i hope you like TATBILB!! i would totally recommend A Brief History of Time. i was totally intimidated by it to begin with, but it didn't end up being too hard to read!

      ooh i LOve Lilly Singh and i should probably check out her book soon!

      Delete
  3. Aw, I'm sorry you didn't like Ink and Bone a lot! I LOVED it: the premise, the characters, the world, everything. I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts if you ever give the sequel a chance! And AGH I need Always and Forever! I'm so glad you liked it. OMG I NEED ODD NOOOOOOOOW. I'm a little scared because I've heard scary things about the ending? And AGH, The Scorpio Races. I think I have a problem with Maggie's writing style, but for some reason, I just COULD NOT read the book??? My attention kept wandering and I ended up DNFing it. Hopefully I'll get back to it tho since I've heard amazing things about it!

    may @ forever and everly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. idk about Ink and Bone-- i really liked parts of it, but the book as a whole didn't stand out to me. actually i'll probably end up checking out the sequel at some point when i have nothing to read. thoughts on it?? i hope you get to read Always and Forever soon! i can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!! i'm sorry you didn't enjoy TSR, but i can totally see why you didn't love it.

      Delete
  4. AHHHH YOU'VE MADE ME EVEN MORE EXCITED TO READ THE SECRET HISTORY. Ahh, I totally feel you on Flame in the Mist. I did like The Wrath & the Dawn, but I DNF'd FitM just barely over 50 pages in. I liked the characters, but the writing bored me to tears.

    I had an awesome reading month in July! I didn't rate a single book below 4 stars. Some of my favorites were Karneval, Vol. 4 by Touya Mikanagi, Legion of the Dead by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell, and As You Like It by Shakespeare. <3

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PLEASEEEE READ TSH!!! sameeee the writing of Flame in the Mist felt really dry for some reason.

      woohoo! that's awesome that July was such a good reading month for you! i read a couple of OMG REALLY GOOD books but the rest were average and kinda meh.

      Delete
  5. I liked the Lara Jean trilogy, but for some reason, it took me forever to finish Always & Forever. It just didn't suck me in like the last two. I got through P.S. I Love You fairly quickly, but just didn't care for this last one as much. I am going to miss reading about the Song girls, though. You kind of become part of their family.

    I was surprised by how much I loved The Scorpio Races. I listened to the audiobook last year and was kind of passive through most of it, but the last half really got me, and I think the ending is one of my all-times favorites. I was sitting in a puddle of tears for about an hour afterwards. (I think I kind of freaked out my husband.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i agree! Always and Forever wasn't quite as captivating to me as the other two! and yes! it was kinda like becoming Lara Jean's sister or something.

      the ending of The Scorpio Races is one of my favorite parts of it! it wraps everything up so nicely but not TOO cheesily, if you know what i mean?

      Delete

getting kind words and comments on my posts is like waking up early in the morning and realizing that I have a few more hours to sleep in. getting comments from you guys is the best, and it always makes my day :)